I have heard many a description of how to make cannabutter. The do’s the dont’s… and the maybe’s.
Here is a tried and trusted method that will ensure a perfect result, with as little mess and fuss as possible.
Quick & Easy Canna-Butter
- Prepare the cuttings and trimmings by getting rid of debris and stems.
- Place into a food processor and grind until as fine as you can get it.
- Fill a pot 1/3 of the way with the pulp. If you have a lot of pulp, use a larger pot, but always keep the ratio at 1/3 of the size of the pot. This makes the rest of the calculations easier.
- Add water and butter (NOT margarine) at a 1/4 ratio. So, if you add 500ml of butter, add 2 liters of water. You can melt the butter before hand to get a more specific ratio. Keep adding this ratio of water and butter until the pot is 2/3 full. Don’t overdo it, otherwise there will be a serious catastrophe when the mixture starts to boil.
- Now turn up your stove-plate heat to the maximum, until the mixture boils. Once the mixture is boiling on high, turn the stove plate down to just above medium for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Boil for 1-1.5 hours, until about half of the water has evaporated. Then add more water until the pot is again 2/3 full.
- Repeat steps 5 and 5 about 3 times, until you can see a layer of oil starting to float on the top.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve or strainer into a container with a lid that can seal.
- Finally, put on a glove and squeeze the remainder of the pulp to get the last bit of moisture from it into the container.
- Put the container into the fridge overnight. The butter will form a hard crust on the top of the liquid.
Take this crust out carefully to avoid spilling the water, it’s horrible to clean!
There you have it. Canna-butter!
This can keep for a week or two in the fridge, sealed with plastic wrap or stored in an air tight container. Use as you would normal butter in a recipe, or substitute 1/3 or 1/2 of the canna-buttter for normal butter/margarine when cooking.
[author_image timthumb=’on’] http://puffpuffpass.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/W-Widow_avatar_1390828483.jpg [/author_image]
White Widow loves making edibles and enjoys the lighter side of things. Be sure to check out all her recipes.